Friday, February 26, 2016

Project 6: Alternative Process Through Digital Means

In this project we were simulating old photography processes usually done by hand on Photoshop. We were shown real examples of cyanotypes, wet plate collodians, daguerrotypes,  etc. and had to mimic their looks using brush tools and layers on Photoshop. I really enjoyed this project because it allowed us to make modern photographs into something completely different and creative. 


Cyanotypes:


A cyanotype is a printing process that tints the photograph blue. I first had my original image and used a brush tool that gave the image interesting borders. I then merged the brush tool layer with my original photograph and added a cyan/blue tint. I adjusted the contrast and brightness to create  desired old-fashioned effect. After that, I felt like something was missing from the photograph so I added a watercolor paper texture on top of it to further give it an older look. You can find the whole tutorial here.  

Wet Plate Collodian:

A wet plate collodian is a process where the image is darkened and given a brownish/yellowish tint. I first used brush tools to create an interesting affect, then put a dark vignette around the edges, and finally put a watercolor paper texture on top of it to make it feel granier and older. You can find the whole tutorial here.


Gum Bichromate: 

A gum bichromate is a process similar to the cyanotype except that instead of just blue, we are layering three or more other colors around the edges and on the image itself so it gives it a colorful and bright finish. You can find the whole tutorial here. 

Vandyke Print:


A Vandyke Print process is exactly like how you would make a cyanotype but instead of tinting the picture blue, you are tinting it light brown/yellow. You can also create it on Photoshop using gradient maps. You can find the whole tutorial here.

Original Brushwork:


No comments:

Post a Comment